Smugglers bag two years imprisonment

Smugglers bag two years imprisonment

The Nigeria Customs Service has secured the conviction of two smugglers, Felarun Oluwasegun and Fakorede Jelili, on February 6, 2024, after being charged to court for the crimes they committed.

This is contained in the statement released by the agency on X (formerly Twitter) on Sunday.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the criminals were convicted on their involvement in assembling to contravene Customs laws, possession of smuggled goods and assaults on officers.

The statement reads, “As smugglers sentenced to two years imprisonment with hard labour.”

“The Nigeria Customs Service has successfully secured the conviction of two smugglers, Felarun Oluwasegun and Fakorede Jelili, on Tuesday, February 6, 2024, in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

“The convictions stem from their involvement in assembling to contravene customs laws, possession of smuggled goods and assaulting customs officers with charms and horsewhips at Owoyele-Igbogila, Yewa-North Local Government, Ogun State in 2023.

“Felarun and Jelili have been sentenced to two years imprisonment with hard labour without the option of fine by Honourable Justice Demi-Ajayi of the Federal High Court, Abeokuta.

“The Comptroller General of Customs, Bashir Adewale Adeniyi, asserted that 11 suspects were convicted for committing offences of improper importation, assault of Customs officers, possession of Pangolin scales meant for export, among other illicit items, while some other smuggling and related cases instituted in the courts are at various stages of prosecution and would be followed up diligently.”

The statement notes that Oluwasegun and Jelili were first arraigned in court in May 2023 on a three-count charge and have been remanded at the Correctional Centre in Abeokuta since then until their recent conviction.

The Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Operations Unit, Zone A, Ikeja had disclosed that it intercepted 11 imported used vehicles and other contraband worth N854m in January.

The Customs Area Controller in charge of the command, Hussein Ejibunu, said this in a statement on Tuesday.

He said during the period under review, the command recorded a total of 60 seizures, comprising different contraband.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.